Boozy Prune Chocolate Cake
The addition of prunes soaked in booze turns this chocolate cake into something rather special. Just right for a Christmas treat! Serve cold for afternoon tea, or warm with a helping of Chocolate Prune Cream for a delicious dessert.
Serves 8 –10
You will need a greased and lined 7”by 11” (28cm by 18cm) tray bake tin.
250g caster sugar
2 large eggs
150g self-raising flour
· Put the water and brandy in a saucepan and heat until simmering.
· Add the prunes, remove from the heat and leave to soak overnight.
· Cut the prunes, which should now be nice and plump, in half.
· Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
· Add the chocolate powder, stir until melted and remove from the heat.
· In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and caster sugar.
· Mix in the melted chocolate.
· Stir in the prunes
· Sieve the flour and fold into the chocolate mixture.
· Spoon into the prepared tin, level the cake mixture and bake in the oven at 1800, at 1600C for fan ovens, GM 4 for about 35-40 minutes, until firm to the touch.
· Leave in the tin for about 10 minutes before turning out.
· Serve warm with Chocolate Prune Cream for pudding or cold with a cup of tea.